College History

Government Islamia College, Faisalabad is recognized as one of the premier academic institutions in Faisalabad. It is highly esteem and always fresh in the memories of its alumni, many of whom are now prominent figures in different spheres of life.  On 1st September 1951, Anjamun Islamia Lyallpur laid the foundation stone of Government Islamia College for Intermediate classes in the building of City Muslim High School Lyallpur. Later, in 1954, the college was upgraded to degree level and shifted to its present 140 Kanal vast campus at Sargodha Road.

On 1st September 1972, like other institutions of the country, this college was nationalized by the Government. On 1st September 1977, Lyallpur was renamed as Faisalabad and this college began to be known as Government Islamia College, Faisalabad. Ever since its inception, College has set the tradition of keeping pace with time and achieved several milestones. In 1968, the vast building of the college was enlarged with the construction of Science Block having four Lecture Theatres, separate labs for Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Zoology. In 1974, new block for B.Sc. classes was built and on 21st March 1987, new building for college library was inaugurated. This library consists of more than 30,000 books which are being increased every year. The college also has a great mosque which is considered among the vast and beautiful mosques of the city. In addition, the college has separate play grounds for foot-ball, hockey and cricket along with courts for badminton and volley-ball.

In 2011, Rana Muhammad Afzal Khan, when he was MPA, issued special grant for the construction of Commerce Block and after becoming MNA he took keen interest in the development of the college and helped in the construction of New Science Block consisting of 12 classrooms, 4 laboratories for Botany, Chemistry, Computer Science and Physics along with an Auditorium/ multi-purpose Hall with seating capacity of 400 students. This block was  inaugurated by MNA Rana Muhammad Afzal Khan on June 29, 2015. In 2013, Higher Education Commission visited and placed the college in X category which is the second best category among HEC ranking. However further efforts are in progress to achieve the higher status. During the academic session 2014-2015, BS (4 Year Degree) programs in the disciplines of, Botany, Commerce, English Literature, Economics, Islamic Studies, Physics, Statistics and Zoology were launched. From this academic year, College has planned to offer BS in, Accounting & Finance, BBA Business Administration, Chemistry, Computer Science, Information Technology, Mathematics and Political Science. The college is blessed with the best teaching faculty, ideal learning facilities and environment and highly impressive building.  Spread over 140 Kanals  of land, the college premises are housed in one of the premier location of Faisalabad.